Cycle together through the night and into the dawn, to Morecambe where a full cooked breakfast awaits. Then cycle back to Halifax at your own pace over the Trough and through the Forest of Bowland. The event is a CTC Standard Ride which forms part of the CTC Tourist Competition . 130 miles – time allowance 17 hours.
The entry fee covers the cost of a full cooked breakfast at Morecambe, and a snack on the way. If you don’t want to enter online then click here for a downloadable entry form and instructions.
1. Route to Morecambe
Starting in Halifax, take the A629 to Skipton via Keighley. Then follow the A65 as far as Clapham.
Turn off onto the B6480 over Bentham Moor, to join the A683. Shortly after Caton, follow local roads to Hest Bank, and then follow the coastal road into Morecambe, where a cooked breakfast awaits at The Welcome Cafe, 8 Market Street, which is opening specially for us at 7am.
2. Recommended Route back to Halifax
The route takes you through Lancaster, and then over the Trough of Bowland down to Dunsop Bridge, and along country lanes to Whalley. Then back along main roads, through Padiham (A671), Todmorden and Hebden Bridge (A646) to arrive back in Halifax, and clock in at The Barum Top Inn (Wetherspoons) by 5pm where you can get a drink and a meal.
[If you choose to make your own arrangements to return to Halifax, please inform the organiser].
View the route at Ride with GPS
CONDITIONS FOR ENTRY
This is a challenging ride. There are no food outlets open during the night, so we have to be self-reliant, and you and your kit need to be in good condition! The CTC require that certain conditions are met on the ride. I hope that you agree that they are common sense.
- You must be over 18 years of age.
- Your cycle should be in a safe, legal, and roadworthy condition, and equipped with lights at front and rear suitable for navigating unlit roads.
- You should wear a Hi-Viz top or equivalent for night-time riding, and carry suitable clothing for adverse weather conditions.
- Snacks and toilet stops are available at Skipton and Clapham, but otherwise this is an unsupported ride. We will be travelling as a group to Morecambe and will offer mutual assistance where possible, but you should aim to be self-sufficient ie have the means to make minor repairs (minimum 2 spare inner tubes).
- In the event of being unable to continue, you must have your own back-up rescue plan.
- We will be travelling on Public roads and therefore you must be aware of other users, ride safely and follow the Highway Code.
- When riding as a group, you should follow the ride leaders’ instructions for your own safety, and that of the group. You should take into account the variety of riding styles and abilities of other cyclists. Take care not to reduce your standard of cycling when consulting route sheets, and stop in appropriate locations.
- You will be required to check in at certain points along the route, and especially the finish back at Halifax. If you are unable, or choose not, to complete the route, you must contact the organiser to let them know of your plans.
HOW TO ENTER
1. By Post
Download and print an Entry Form. Read the conditions carefully. Complete and post the entry form together with your entry fee to: Dave Dodwell, 32 Parkside Avenue, Queensbury, Bradford, BD13 2HQ
– to arrive by Saturday 14 June. (This is to give the cafe, which is opening up specially for us, enough notice of numbers).
2. By Paypal
Fill in the entry form by clicking the green ‘Enter Online’ button at the top of this page, Read the conditions carefully. Complete the entry form online and pay by Paypal – by Saturday14 June.