Cycle through the night and into the dawn, to Morecambe on Sunday morning to for an early McBreakfast at McDonalds. Then cycle back to Halifax at your own pace over the Trough and through the Forest of Bowland. The event is a Cycling UK Standard Ride which forms part of the Cycling UK Tourist Competition . 130 miles – time allowance 17 hours.
Entries – online or by post – by Thursday 27 June. See How to Enter for more details
1. Route to Morecambe
Starting in Halifax, take the A629 to Skipton via Keighley. Then follow the A65 as far as Clapham.
Turn off onto the B6480 over Bentham Moor, to join the A683. Shortly after Caton, follow local roads and Route 69 cyclepath to Hest Bank, and then follow the coastal road into Morecambe, then to McDonalds on Morecambe Rd LA3 3AB which is open from 5am.
2. Recommended Route back to Halifax
The route takes you through Lancaster via the Route 69 cyclepath, and then over the Trough of Bowland down to Dunsop Bridge, and along country lanes to Whalley. Then back along main roads, through Padiham (A671), Todmorden and Hebden Bridge (A646) to arrive back in Halifax, and clock in at The Barum Top Inn (Wetherspoons) by 5pm where you can get a drink and a meal.
[If you choose to make your own arrangements to return to Halifax, please inform the organiser].
2019 Route Sheets and Information (updated 23 June 2019)
Route Sheet – there and back (Excel File .xlsx)
Halifax to Morecambe Route Sheet (.pdf)
Morecambe to Halifax Route Sheet (.pdf)
Detailed directions to McDonalds from Morecambe along Route 69 (.pdf)
NOTE: CONGESTION IN HEBDEN BRIDGE
Between approx 12pm – 12:30pm, Hebden Bridge will be severely congested due to the Handmade Parade crossing the A646 at the lights, and into the park.
A suggested diversion can be found at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30321163 (Thanks to Jocasta Flectcher for this suggested route).
This adds approx 0.5km to the journey and should take about 5 min.
GPS File (same as 2018)
Download the GPX track
View the route, and download in different formats (.FIT, .GPX etc) at Ride with GPS (same as 2018)
CONDITIONS FOR ENTRY
This is a challenging ride. There are no food outlets open during the night, so we have to be self-reliant, and you and your kit need to be in good condition! Cycling UK require that certain conditions are met on the ride. I hope that you agree that they are common sense.
- You must be over 18 years of age.
- Your cycle should be in a safe, legal, and roadworthy condition, and equipped with lights at front and rear suitable for navigating unlit roads.
- You should be familiar and confident at night-time riding. You should wear a Hi-Viz top or equivalent for night-time riding, and carry suitable clothing for adverse weather conditions.
- This is an unsupported ride. It is highly recommended that you ride in an organised group for your own safety. Other riders will offer mutual assistance where possible, but you must be self-sufficient ie have the means to make minor repairs (minimum 2 spare inner tubes).
- In the event of being unable to continue, you must have your own back-up rescue plan.
- We will be travelling on Public roads and therefore you must be aware of other users, ride safely and follow the Highway Code.
- When riding as a group, you should follow the ride leaders’ instructions for your own safety, and that of the group. You should take into account the variety of riding styles and abilities of other cyclists. Take care not to reduce your standard of cycling when consulting route sheets, and stop in appropriate locations.
- You will be required to check in at certain points along the route, and especially the finish back at Halifax. If you are unable, or choose not, to complete the route, you must contact the organiser to let them know of your plans.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Online (preferred)
[Even if you are paying on the night! – so I have a record of names and mobile phone numbers to give to the Controls in case of emergency]
Fill in the entry form by clicking the green ‘Tickets’ button at the top of this page, Read the conditions carefully. Complete the entry form online and pay by Paypal or Credit/Debit Card – by Thursday 27 June.
2. By Post
Download and print an Entry Form (pdf). Read the conditions carefully. Complete and post the entry form together with your entry fee to: Dave Dodwell, 32 Parkside Avenue, Queensbury, Bradford, BD13 2HQ
– to arrive by Thursday 27 June.
Getting to / Parking at the Event
Oddfellows Rooms, Coleridge Street is just a quarter of a mile from Halifax Railway Station. If you are coming by car, there are Car Parks 100 yards away from the start, on Prescott Street, which are free on Sunday. It is also a short distance from the finish.